3/19/2007

racism and friends

First, I want to start off by saying a few things that I've learned from being a mother. One, when my child(ren) hurts - it hurts me more. Two, when someone hurts my child(ren) - I want to go for the jugular. Three (since my daughter is of a minority race), when someone says nasty racial remarks/jokes - I am offended (Seriously offended. 10X more offended than if something was said about me.). Which leads me to my story...

I have a friend, M, who is really nice, thoughtful and fun to hang out with. We live in the same town, our husbands get along and we have kids of similar ages who also like playing with each other. But. But, she is known to make derogatory remarks about black people (and she uses the 'N' word, GULP). Not daily, but often enough. Seriously. When she uses the 'N' word, she'll turn to me and try to explain that she doesn't feel that way about "Chinese people" just blacks. She'll then say "you know what I mean". My response is "well, ummm, no, not really - I'm not racist." This is a concept she has a real hard time accepting/understanding. In a diplomatic, but not so effective, manner I've tried to help her understand that I am uncomfortable when she uses racial slurs.

As a white woman, I have never had to personally experience prejudiced behavior. Don't get me wrong, I've experienced torment for many things as a child. I grew up (until high school) very poor while going to a 'rich' school, on a free ride. I know what it's like to be different. But, these racist slurs and/or jokes that fly out of M's mouth make me crazy. I really like this person otherwise. That must sound insane, huh.

I'm not unrealistic, I know I can't change someone else's behavior, but I'm at a loss. Our families get along, and she treats my children very well, but I'm not sure what to do. Honestly, this behavior seems so out of character for this person. It wasn't until we became good friends that I guess she felt comfortable enough to show this side of her - at which point, I liked her and her family. I mean, really, if such comments flew out of her mouth on one of our first encounters, I wouldn't have given her the time of day. But, that's not the case. I am trying to see past this. Do I just let it go?

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 2:11 PM , Blogger Johnny said...

That's a tough call. You are smart to realize that you can't change her. Just as if she were to try to convince you that the "N" word is okay in "some" cases.

Would you feel comfortable with your child having sleepovers at their place?

And if one day, years down the line, your kid throws out the "N" word?

Aye-Carumba. A rung bell can not be un-rung.

However, easy to say let it go. Hard to hurt someone's feelings. Very hard.

The best you could do would be to let the friendship die gently. But with it being a "couple friendship", then it won't die easy.

A lot of wind, not much good assvice.

 
At 3:12 PM , Blogger wzgirl said...

I would say..."Seriously, M, I love you to pieces - but you can not use that word around me or my family."

 
At 3:52 PM , Blogger Katie J said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 4:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

reposted:
Johnny and wzgirl make great points. You have to do what you feel is right, but the "n" word is really pretty nasty. I hate conflict, but I think in this case, it's very warranted.

KatieJ
www.mayleebeezir.blogspot.com

 
At 7:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I found you again. I've moved too and I'm using a new name.

Oh what a tough issue, but I like wzgirl's idea of telling her not to use the word around you or your family. That way you accept her, but not the word. She may even come to an understanding and growth through the process. Maybe?

 
At 10:31 PM , Blogger Joannah said...

I don't know...

I think the way a person speaks is truly indicative of what's in their heart.

With that said, (and I don't know her, of course) I'd have a hard time continuing to socialize with her.

That's just me...

 
At 10:20 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd ask her to stop using that word around YOU and your family.

That being said, I really don't think I could be friends with her. I wouldn't want my children around that. And what are you teaching your children by tolerating that behavior? That it is ok. To me, it's not ok.

I wish you well with this.

 
At 9:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Johnny completely (which is probably why I read his blog). Better not have your children exposed to this type of behavor.
Stephanie
www.forksandchopsticks.wordpress.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home