3/07/2007

Not my finest hour....

Let me start off by saying that I am very proud of my daughter, her heritage and how she joined our family. I think adoption rocks and I'm very open about it. However, I do get annoyed when we are out and about, doing normal family things, and strange(rs) feel the need to quiz us on our family planning choices.

You'd think that I'd be used to it by now, but seriously, the older Allie gets, the less I appreciate the questions. Not only because we are just going about our life, I don't want our daughter to feel like a spectacle or accessory without the right for privacy. Just because our family came together in an nontraditional way, we are just an average family and I really don't feel the need to be an open book. All. The. Time. When my daughter isn't around and adoption comes up, I'm all about it - very open to questions and willing to share my views on adoption and how it's an awesome way to build a family. The only details I avoid are about Allison's abandonment, since they are for her to divulge, if she ever chooses to do so.

So, whenever we are approached and asked (although we're never asked) to play the adoption, why China 20 questions game, I always try to remain gracious and polite, mainly for my daughters sake. But, that doesn't mean that I'm not thinking about what I'd really like to say about their lack of social graces.

Usually the conversation starts goes like this:
Strange(r): staring at the white woman (me) with Asian child (Allie)
Me: avoiding eye contact or just blow off with brief smile
Strange(r): "Your baby is cute" ignoring my 'cute' son if he's there (but, that's not what the conversation is really about)
Me: "Thank you"
Strange(r): "How old is she?"
Me: "Two" or "Two, and my son is seven" (if Brent is with us) I'm feeling it....here it comes...
Strange(r): "Where is she from?"
Me: "China" or lately, Allison sometime responds "China baby, yeahhhhh!"
Strange(r): either ends conversation, or continues with their story of folks they know who have adopted, or asks intrusive questions - often questioning why I didn't adopt from the US.
Me: try to act like an air-headed-distracted mom who has to run (although it's not a far stretch), all the while keeping a friendly tone and smile plastered on my face.

Rewind to last week, a review of my finest hour (NOT):
location: grocery store - with Allie in the cart (Brent's in school)
Strange(r): doing the stare
Me: not taking the bait, avoiding eye contact. I have PMS and Allison is squirmy in the cart - closing in on naptime. I'm trying to make it to the checkout before the meltdown.
Strange(r): pushes her cart next to me and says "Where's she from?"
Me: thinking 'Huh, no segway? Humor me please.' My PMS-y reply "our hometown"
Strange(r): "What country?"
Me: still PMSing "Why do you ask?"
Strange(r): "Oh, I have a grown daughter from Korea and two beautiful new grandchildren from Korea."
Me: Gulp! Looking for exit or hole to climb into. From there I did a real bang-up job trying to back pedal out of my ignorant comment. Good God, the only time I've ever been flip, is to another a-parent AND grandparent. Could I have felt like a bigger ass? Let me answer that - NOPE.

Note to self: even if PMSing - BE NICE!

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 10:21 PM , Blogger Johnny said...

You know, another tack you could take is just be purposefully vague to make them uncomfortable. I had a friend in college who asked some questions (this was when whitey was trying to figure out how someone with an Asian face could speak English better than him):

Q: So, where are you from?
A: Houston

Q: Ahhh, I mean, where is your family?
A: Houston

Q: Ha-ha, I mean, where are your folks from?
A: Back East.

When I answered those questions that way, my friend was smart enough to realize that his question, was in a way racist.

After that, it became a sorta Louis-and-Costello act between us we would say in front of other people.

Only after I knew him for 6 years (and was the best man at his wedding) did I finally tell him where I was born.

It shouldn't have ever mattered!

 
At 5:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cracked up by imagining Allison saying China baby yeah!

I will be facing the same issues as you, so it is nice to know what to expect.

Stephanie
www.forksandchopsticks.wordpress.com

 
At 1:48 PM , Blogger sillychick said...

I have a friend that I met through our son's kindergarten. While her son is "natural" she also has a daughter 2 years younger that she adopted from China.

I asked all of the things you mentioned in your post but only because I was curious, not racist or being a nib-nose. I've always been this way, wanting to learn how families came together and how other cultures work. It was amazing to hear their story.

Now I question if I should have asked at all.

 
At 8:53 PM , Blogger Queen of the Mayhem said...

It is so hard to be nice when people are so nosy and rude! It is not their business!


Next time someone asks where she is from.....say something crazy...like Mars...then blog about their reaction! (hee-hee)

 
At 10:41 PM , Blogger Katie J said...

Since this woman is an a-mom, I'm sure she's been through it and understands why you might have been a little stand-offish. I know when I think about approaching parents who I believe are international a-parents, I think about it differently when Buttons isn't there.

I'm sure you think you were much worse than you actually were. Plus, she was too busy looking at your beautiful children and thinking back to those great days of being a young parent.

Cut yourself a break, ok?

 
At 9:43 PM , Blogger Grim Reality Girl said...

China baby yeah! -- love that!

A crazy idea for you that might be stupid... Make up a business card the answers the most often asked questions and directs people where to go for more information. Most probably are innocent and don't realize they are putting all the attention on your daughter and how that might make your son feel.

If you get questions all the time, it might be a solution... not sure. I remember getting funny looks and stares... my kids are 360 days apart. My first was small for her age, my 2nd larger. They didn't look like twins... but looked a little too close in age to both be mine. People asked really crazy quesitons -- like who's baby did I steal since both of these were not twins and could not be mine. Good times ;-)

Sorry the public can be so clueless.....

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home