10/30/2006

Soliciting prayers...

I had debated on whether or not to post about this, but since no one (except KatieJ)who reads this knows my mom, I decided that extra prayers are welcomed. And, I thought this information is worth sharing.

My Mom was diagnosed with breast cancer a few weeks ago and goes in for her surgery this Friday. Needless to say, we are worried. Hearing my mom say "I have breast cancer" was hard. Really hard. Hard because of selfish reasons, and hard because I could feel her trying to be strong and positive as she told me - she was trying to break the news gently. I have a lump in my throat just replaying that in my mind. So, if you are a person of faith, and wouldn't mind including my Mom in your prayers, I would appreciate it. Her name is Marian.

The other reason for posting this is to share how my mother's breast cancer was found. For over 20 years my mom has had fibroid cystic breast disease (non-cancerous fibroid cysts), and has had many procedures over the years - aspirations, cysts removed etc. For all of those years she traveled into the city, to a large university hospital, for all of procedures - getting mammograms and breast ultrasounds faithfully every year and at times more frequently if necessary.

Anyway, last year she found another lump and decided to go to a local surgeon, recommended by my sister, who also has fibroids, to have a cyst removed. After this new doctor did her surgery and her next mammogram came back clean, she recommended that my mom have a breast MRI, because my mom sister had breast cancer (a 25 year survivor, thank God). So, a few months ago my mom had the MRI done and there was a shadow. Her doctor then sent her for an ultrasound to confirm what was seen. She had the ultrasound done and it came back clean - the report stated that the MRI must have been a false positive, a shadow of sort. My mom's Dr. sent her for another ultrasound, this time with a radiologist instead of a technician, feeling that it would be more thorough. Again, the ultrasound came back clean. Her Dr. still not satisfied, sent her to a different hospital, an hour away, to have another MRI, but this time with a biopsy of any shadowed areas. Well, the MRI showed a the shadow, a biopsy was done, and she has cancer.

What is keeping us optimistic is that early detection is what saves lives, and this breast MRI procedure found my mom's breast cancer at least 3-4 years sooner than a mammogram would have. Partly because of size, and partly because of location. And needless to say, we are extremely grateful for her doctor's resolve to not let her patients slip through the cracks.

My sisters and I will now be getting breast MRIs in addition to yearly mammograms. We are also awaiting my mom's blood test for the breast cancer gene, to see if we also need to be tested for the gene.

So many of us have friends and/or family members who have, or will, be diagnosed with breast cancer - if you know of anyone with a family history of breast cancer, encourage them to seek out a breast MRI. This test isn't available everywhere, but worth pursuing. And if your doctor thinks it's not necessary, tell them you know someone personally who has benefited from having one.

Thanks.

8 Comments:

At 8:04 PM , Blogger Joannah said...

I'm praying for your mother right now. I'll also pray for you to have peace of mind about everything.

Take care!

 
At 10:08 PM , Blogger Stephanie said...

Tammy,
I am so sorry to hear your news. My cousin, 41 years old, was just diagnosed also. My mother is a breast cancer survivor (over 11 years now). I will keep your mom in my prayers that she have a quick recovery.
Stephanie

 
At 2:04 AM , Blogger wzgirl said...

Much love to Marian - My newfound friend, Tammy's Mama. Love and prayers to you...and to your family.

XO, WendyZ

 
At 4:34 PM , Blogger Katie J said...

Prayers and love to you and your entire family. I'm not that far away, call if you need me, ok?

 
At 12:56 PM , Blogger Mom 2 six said...

Praying for your family and that your mom sails through surgery and treatment. As a nurse I can say things have advanced tremendously -hoping for the best recovery !!

 
At 9:00 PM , Blogger Pug Mama said...

Tammy,
My mother , Miriam, is in the middle of her battle with breast cancer. I can not even put into words how it has effected me. My mother was stage 1A. She had an segmental mastectomy on Sept. 18th and just started her 6 weeks of radiation this week.
I also have been telling women how important it is to get mammograms on my blog. My mother's early detection is what will save her life. YOUR mothers early detection is what WILL save her life also. We just walked in our local breast cancer walk. There is a wonderful, HUGE community of strong, powerful, mighty survivors out there. Your mother is not alone. I will be praying for her.

 
At 12:18 PM , Blogger Nina said...

My thoughts and prayers are with your mom. Thank you for sharing this information about MRIs. By getting the word out to others, you may be saving lives... Again, wishing your mom a speedy recovery.

 
At 3:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tammy,

(I linked to your blog through Mary Mia's.) I was diagnosed with breast cancer and had a mastectomy last year. After a long year, I am now cancer free and doing great. My annual breast exam includes mammogram, ultrasound and MRI. I will certainly keep your mom in my prayers.

Andi

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home