9/04/2006

More Mommy guilt...

Two years ago I decided that I either wanted/needed to get a part-time job, or go to back to school. Ideally I wanted return to work part-time when both kids were in all day school; however, two years ago there was a lay-off threat at Scott's work & it kicked me in the ass. So, I decided to pursue a career in nursing. I took the Nurse Entrance Test (like SATs for nursing programs) and started to apply to several programs. After interviewing and getting accepted, Scott secured another position within his company. Although the job scare was gone, I decided to forge ahead anyway since nursing programs are very competitive and I was thankful to have secured a seat in my school of choice. I've spent the past two years chipping away at the pre-requisite science classes, and nursing school seemed like light years away, but now it's here - it/I started three weeks ago. The pace was insane at first, but it's starting to level out. Thank God.

For the past three weeks Scott and other family members have taken care of the kids while I was at school. Brent is now in school all day and next week Allison starts daycare. This semester Allison will only need to be in childcare 4 to 5 days per month, but I'm still sick about it. I've never used chidcare for Brent and I feel so guilty not being a full-time SAHM for Allison. By no means do I think that being a SAHM is better than being a working mom (or in my case student mom, SM) - I was raised by a single mother who worked her arse off - and I intend on working once part-time when I'm done school. It's just hard. And different.

We will be using a home-based child care program. Her daycare provider has been running a licensed daycare out of her home for 10+ years and she comes highly recommended. She is in her late 50s and has grandchildren, so the kids all call her Grammy, which I find sweet. She runs her program as a preschool and even has the two year olds participate on their level. Allison will going to school with our neighbors’ daughter, who she likes to play with. Grammy also took care of a little girl from China for four years until she started school this year and she will start taking care of her little sister, who was adopted from China this past year - so we're thrilled about that, since IA is somewhat of a rarity in our area.

We have visited her daycare a few times to let her play with the other kids and to familiarize her with the place and she seems to love it. Allison doesn't cling to my leg when we visit and then she doesn't want to leave. Thank God she seems to love the place - that's the only thing that allows me to sleep at night. (on a side note: I get insomnia when I'm stressed or worried - so next week, there will no rest for the weary at my house. I'll probably be reading blogs in the middle of the night.)

I keep telling myself that it's like anything new - the anticipation is probably much worse than the actual thing/day/event, whatever. Maybe if I tell myself enough, I'll start to believe it.

So, advice and/or words of wisdom to help me deal with the guilt are welcome (Especially from those parents who have BTDT).

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At 3:35 PM , Blogger Joannah said...

I can't offer any advice, but I will be in your shoes when I have Jillian. It sounds like you've found a wonderful daycare situation for her, AND you ARE setting a great example for her by pursuing more education. You will have insights to share with her about education and career choices that she will benefit from in the future.

My mom wasn't able to give me that kind of guidance. I've figured it out, but I wish my parents had known more about that kind of stuff.

Good luck as you move into a new season of your lives. I so admire you for pursuing your nursing degree. I think nurses and teachers have much in common.

 
At 3:55 PM , Blogger Katie J said...

Ditto what joannah said. Give me a jingle if you need to talk. I'm here.

 
At 1:19 AM , Blogger Lisa and Tate said...

KUDOS for going back to school and chosing to be a Nurse!!! I work in a hospital (not a nurse) and I see how hard it is to be a Nursing Student!!! Everyone of the students will say that the first semester is the hardest... Hang in there... you are amazing!!!

Lisa

 
At 2:53 PM , Blogger Newbury Greenie said...

No great advice here, but I certainly sympathize. I'm also struggling with the work/mommy balance at the moment. A friend lent me, "When Mothers Work: loving our children without sacrificing our selves" by Joan K. Peters. Haven't read it yet so I can't comment.

Don't know if you've seen the recent headlines on this and I can't remember which feminist said it, but she basically said, "All those smart mommies out their should get their butts back to work as soon as possible - they're not doing our gender any favors." A little harsh, but I see her point (glass ceiling stuff, etc.)

Kudos to you for pursuing your nursing degree - I think it's great (and none too easy with 2 kids!).

 
At 3:48 PM , Blogger wzgirl said...

I hope that your transition is going well, Tammy. I am sooo proud of you! Going back to school is such a challenge - it is huge!! Hang in there, this is a very good thing for you and the wizkids!! XOXO

 
At 11:22 PM , Blogger Andie D. said...

First, I have to let you know that your coffee pic CRACKES ME UP! It's so right and so wrong at the same time - I love it!

Second: I've BTDT. I worked full-time with my 1st. He started at an in-home daycare at 9 weeks. It was so much harder on me than on him. He was fiiiiiine.

One of the many benefits of in-home daycare is that the childcare provider can develop such a caring and nurturing relationship with your child. And she can even notice things that you might not, and bring them to your attention. If your child has peculiarities, you can work them out with your childcare provider as needed. I am so grateful that I found the person that my son was with for 2.5 years.

Another plus is that your child will spend quality time with other kids, likely of varying ages. I've read about the studies that say kids who've been in "daycare" are more adept socially than those who have not. All I can say is that I tend to agree. The good, bad, and "ugly" of kid socialization is such a learning process. I think those who have had interaction on a consistent basis with other children may possibly have an edge.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Allison will be fine. Really. You are not selfish for pursuing your career. You are making an investment in your family's future. And you are setting an incredible example for your daughter.

 
At 5:12 PM , Blogger Carolina Mama said...

Your blog is hilarious! And pursuing education is always a good thing! Best of luck to you.

 
At 8:05 PM , Blogger Cavatica said...

I don't have any advice for you, as I'm not a mom yet. But I'm planning to continue working and we've planned day care for Katie. We're excited about the benefits of it for her. I'm looking forward to hearing how this goes for you. We've chosen a place that seems like so much fun that I'd love to quit my job and be a kid there!

I think it's great you're going to school!!! In the long run I think it's good for parents to have lives seperate from their children or they have nothing left when their children are grown. Not that this seems so relevant now, I'm sure.

 
At 11:45 PM , Blogger Mom O Matic said...

Today I was strolling around the outdoor mall with my kids and notice that all of the moms were quite young and hot. Then it dawned on me that they were nannies. Lots of them! They were having a blast with the kids and it made me pause for a minute and wonder about going back to work. Still pausing on that one.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home