8/12/2006

HAKUNA MATATA


Brent and I, along with my friend and her son, went to see Broadway's The LION KING today at the Academy of Music, in Philadelphia. I've wanted to see this play FOR EVER. I was hoping that I didn't regret the expense for my son's ticket, ouch -and the $4 chocolate chip cookie, that was the size of his head (that I finished off), the souvenirs and drinks, double ouch. But, this was an opportunity that I didn't want him (or me) to miss. Oh well, it's only money (ha!) and it was certainly worth every penny. I purchased these tickets a year ago and had nightmares that I forgot about the show and missed it or lost the tickets. I'm much better at buying tickets a month in advance, not a year in advance. I digress.

Anyhoo, I was worried that my son wouldn't get the symbolism in the play, but at one point I said, "Look the fabric is disappearing into the floor" and Brent responded "That's supposed to be the rivers and lakes drying up Mom" - well, DUH, I knew that (NOT). Sometimes our kids are smarter than we realize - and smarter than their parents.

I was Brent's age, almost 7, when I saw my very first 'real' play, Annie, and I still remember getting dressed up, going into the city and sitting in the red velvet seats in the theater. It was exciting for me as a kid and very cool to share this type of experience with my son. It was one of those times when I had to stop, take in the day, and realize the imprint it will have on my son's childhood memories.

One word to describe this play - SPECTACULAR. It totally earned its reputation. LOVED IT! LOVED IT! LOVED IT!

If you haven't seen it and the opportunity presents itself, don't miss it.

(If I figure out my camera glitch, I'll upload a few pics.)

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 8:23 AM , Blogger JerseyGirl said...

It sounds like so much fun. I can't wait to do these kinds of things with Collin when he is older. For now it's all abot enjoying the Mommy and Me DVDs he gets a kick out of.

 
At 4:46 PM , Blogger Kim M. said...

That was Hannah's first play also and she was 7. She loved I loved we all loved it. I can't wait to see Tarzan. My first play was Annie. Glad you had fun!

 
At 7:39 PM , Blogger Stephanie said...

How wonderful! I am waiting until Leah is a bit older and am sure that she would really enjoy seeing The Lion King or maybe Beauty and the Beast.

 
At 11:49 PM , Blogger Katie J said...

I saw that in London and was blown away! Lion King was so amazing...I hope it's still around for Buttons to see when she gets a bit older. I'm going to see my first show on Broadway soon and I'll post about it too.

 
At 6:56 PM , Blogger wzgirl said...

LUCKY Mommy! I've heard such great things about this play. And, I remember going to my first theatre performance - the Nutcracker Suite. We also went to see Annie - a HUGE special childhood memory. What a special date for you and your son!!

 
At 1:40 PM , Blogger Newbury Greenie said...

What age would you recommend for this show? Can't wait to see it with Joely but I'm thinking it'll have to be a few years. Just last weekend she asked if I remembered we went to see the 'Pig and the Spider' (Charlotte's Web), and what was the pig's name again? That was back in May! Kids are human sponges ..

 
At 7:23 PM , Blogger Cavatica said...

That sounds wonderful!

 
At 6:16 AM , Blogger MarylandMommy said...

Sounds like FUN! We all love the theater! Our son is only 4 though, so we have a few more years before we will probably take him.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home