9/18/2006

daycare & the birds and the bees

Well, Allison loves daycare, or as she calls it "Gammy cool" (cool is school). When I pick her up in the afternoon she is excited to see me, but not pulling me out the door. She squeals, comes running over to me for a hug, then wiggles down to continue doing whatever she was doing. We have had art projects sent home each day (she goes 2X per week) and Grammy says that she loves following along with whatever the kids are doing. She has eaten well, played well and even napped well. All that worry for naught. What a relief. It's all about perspective, I guess. Now I'm glad that she gets to spend play days with all of her friends.

And to follow up on the birds & bees talk with my son. Hmmmm, where to start. First, I got some books (see post below) and I don't think I'm ready to share them with my first grader. (If only I wasn't having trouble uploading pics onto my computer, I'd share the page, from the book listed below, with the cartoon image of a man and woman fooling around under the sheets.) That book is now sitting on a high shelf - he does not need that visual, at this age.

So, not sure how to approach the subject, I decided to reassess what Brent was really asking when wanting to know how he got into my belly, why he looks like Dad, and where his bones came from. I told him that babies grow inside of mommies - they start out as eggs, that are so small they can only be seen with a microscope. I shared some pictures from an anatomy book that had what a fetus looks like at different stages and he was satisfied with that. He was excited, as if he had a new discovery, well, I guess he did.

I'm not sure if I should've went into more detail with my son, but my philosophy is to give honest information, but no more than they are really needing and/or wanting to know. Not to mention, my son is just shy of seven and he isn't at an age where I could expect him to not share a big discovery with his peers. So, I feel a sense of responsibility that my son doesn't repeat something, regardless of how innocently, to other people's children. That could be ugly, not to mention wrong. (Like my homeschooling neighbor family, of seven kids, who just love to share with other neighborhood kids how Santa isn't real and that Christmas is only for celebrating Jesus. That's a post in itself. Grrrrr.) He will eventually hear the whole story of conception when he gets older. From. His. Dad.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 11:51 PM , Blogger wzgirl said...

You go Mama!! Great job. Keep talkin' because I keep learning!! XO

 
At 10:51 AM , Blogger Newbury Greenie said...

I like that philosophy. I made the mistake of giving my daughter the correct terminology and now she's running around telling everyone that boys have a penis ... much to my dismay.

My 4-year-old niece just noticed the difference and asked, "Daddy, why do you have a floppy and mommy doesn't?"

 
At 12:45 AM , Blogger Katie J said...

Great job Tammy! You're right...kids often times don't need as much detail as we think they do and honesty is the way to go.

Yeah you!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home