9/08/2006

Me, at a loss for words?

Yep, I'm at a loss, and I need help finding the right words. Brent has started asking questions about how babies are made and he's not being satisfied with my old explanation that we prayed to God for a baby and he grew inside my belly. This wasn't a lie - I did call Scott God that night. JUST KIDDING! In the right environment, I can curse like a truck driver, but I can't even use correct anatomical words for private parts. I use such words as pee-pee, privates and tush. I know I'm a grown woman and I should get over this hang-up, but it's just not going to happen.

Anyhoo, he's really asking details. He even wants to know how come he looks like Dad if he grew in my belly. Oh Lord, what the heck do I say? I don't have any intention of going into the detail about the 'horizontal mombo', but I'm not sure how much to tell him. I don't want to lie. I just don't want to give him more information that he needs to know or more than what would satisfy his curiousity. If that makes sense.

So, as lame as it sounds, I've ordered some books from the library. Here's one:


Any suggestions?

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At 8:40 PM , Blogger Kim M. said...

Oh no Tammy I can't believe he is asking already. Ugh I am so dreading that topic. I feel for ya I really do.

By the way I will show the makeover of the powder room once I hang the curtains. It's what the whole color scheme is based on!!!!

 
At 12:27 AM , Blogger wzgirl said...

That looks like a great book! Not sure what kind of advice to offer, except to be as open as you possibly can. It is important for your wee guy to know that he can come to you with these kinds of questions.

Good luck!

 
At 9:22 AM , Blogger Katie J said...

I'm no person to give advice, but I did use the "v" word when Buttons asked "what this"? It seemed strange, but I'm glad I was able to use the correct word.

I like wzgirl's suggestions.Good luck.

 
At 11:40 AM , Blogger Joannah said...

I think you've done the right thing. My sister did that for her girls when they started asking questions. Books take the pressure off you to find all the right terms, and make the conversation developmentally appropriate. I suggest you read through the book(s) before you share them with your kids though, just to make sure you're comfortable with how the author has written about her subject matter. Good luck!

 
At 12:23 PM , Blogger Cavatica said...

Oh boy. I tell myself I'll handle it oh so beautifully, using anotomically correct words, etc, but who knows what really comes out when the time comes. I have a friend who is a nurse and I'm so jealous of her ease with the subject.

 
At 12:25 PM , Blogger Cavatica said...

And of course I'll spell "anatomically" correct when I talk to my child. Jeez Louise!

 
At 11:50 PM , Blogger Aimee said...

Maybe tell him to just ask his dad. I'm pretty good at dodging bullets, at least for a little while anyway.

 
At 9:54 AM , Blogger Mom O Matic said...

Not lame at t'all!

I just said "God brings em". I'm a minister's daughter and feel I can get away with that for a time. Later it will change to "Don't worry about it and don't get anyone pregnant!"

 
At 3:28 PM , Blogger Tamara said...

Oh I dread that little discussion- luckily my 7 y/o has learned a lot from her Grandma who is not embarressed one bit to say "ding ding!" Think I may need to look for that book in my local library!!

 
At 11:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tammy,
It's Christina, Stephanies sister. Thanks for checking in on me. I still use pee pee so I don't know what to tell you, but maybe the book will help.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home