1/06/2007

Offensive journalism

Did you happen to catch Paula Zahn's program last night (1/5) on CNN? She spoke about American's "infatuation" with Chinese girls. That we, adoptive parents, go to China to adopt "smart" children and that we "don't realize" that they aren't "born smart". We choose China for the intelligence and want our children to become doctors, which is why we don't adopt a black or Hispanic child from the US. They just wouldn't be smart enough.

If you're interested in reading the ridiculous transcripts, here's a link?
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/pzn.html

Although I'm not thin-skinned, I felt compelled to send an email to CNN and to Paula. I was/am pretty offended. We didn't adopt our daughter to play the violin, help us with math, cook us stir-fry or to "become a doctor." That's just racist crap. Seriously, could our foster/adoption system here in the US be any more flawed? Hmmmm, guess that couldn't have anything to do with why many people don't choose to go this route to adopt. Personally speaking, we didn't want to put ourselves through the the emotional turmoil that an unpredictable adoption system would bring.

Do I think American children in foster care deserve homes? Helllllooo, yes. All children do. I love that those who address this issue are never those who have chosen to adopt, from this country or elsewhere. Don't they care about American orphans? For some strange reason, parents who choose to adopt internationally are to blame for all of the children waiting for families in the US. Never are people who choose to give birth asked how come they don't adopt children, who are already born and need families, instead of bringing more children into this world. By no means do I feel that people shouldn't give birth, I'm just trying to prove my point about how parents who have adopted internationally aren't to blame for all of the waiting children in the US.

*thud* that's me jumping off of my soap box.

2 Comments:

At 12:17 PM , Blogger Joannah said...

Well said! I only read the transcripts, but was disgusted with their content! What a bunch of small-minded ignoramouses!

 
At 12:48 PM , Blogger Johnny said...

I didn't bother tuning in cause I sensed it would end up being a train-wreck that the bloggy world is confirming it was.

The media rarely gets things like this right because most times, the real facts might seem "boring" compared to things said on that show (apparently).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home