5/25/2007

A proud moment...

This afternoon I went on a walking trip with Brent's first grade class to the local library. The kids were getting rammy & we were walking in the historic part of town, where there were uneven brick sidewalks - beautiful, but tricky if you don't watch your step. Anyway, Brent was about four kids in front of me when another classmate wasn't paying attention and wiped out. One of the dad chaperones picked up the boy and everyone kept walking. Brent went up to the kid, put his arm around his shoulder and quietly asked "Are you alright Josh?" He then patted him on the back and walked next to him and chatted, noticing that the boy was embarrassed, trying to take his mind off of his fall.

Brent didn't know I saw what he did until we got back to the school & I pulled him aside to tell him how proud I was that he took the time to check on Josh. His response "What? He's my friend, I was just making sure he was OK" - like no big deal, but to me it was a big deal. Empathy is a BIG deal.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 5:29 PM , Blogger Katie J said...

Sweet. Brent is a salt-of-the-earth kinda guy. I can understand the pride.

 
At 5:42 PM , Blogger Polar Bear said...

What a sweet little man you have!

 
At 3:27 PM , Blogger Cavatica said...

That's one awesome boy, one nifty girl, and a cutie-curly dog!

 
At 10:44 AM , Blogger Stacey T. said...

So funny to read the word "rammy". I haven't heard that since I moved back to California from the Philadelphia area!!!! I haven't heard the word jimmies, either (in reference to ice cream cone toppings).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home