3/30/2007

Goodbye sweet Jake...




Our hearts are broken. Wednesday, our dear sweet Jake was laid to rest. He was diagnosed with hemangio*sarcoma two weeks ago - the news was a shock, but we thought we would have a little more time. Sometime between Tuesday evening and Wednesday morning, Jake had a major stroke - he lost his sight and strenght on his left side. He was only 8 1/2. There are no words that can truly express how much we miss him. We miss his cuddles, his happy greeting at the door, his gentle nature, his unconditional love, his heavy breathing, his clicking nails on the Per*go floor, his yellow fur EVERYWHERE, his soft scent, his soft fur, his soft eyes. I can't believe how much it hurts to loose a dog. He wasn't just a pet, he was a member of our family.

I had brought Jake home as a surprise birthday gift for my husband. A few months before my husband's birthday, his parents died in a car accident. He was in a dark place and I had read about the therapeutic benefits of pets. Jake was such a special pup, he helped my husband heal and grieve. What an angel.

Not long after Jake joined our family, I became a SAHM. So, for 7 years Jake has been with me everyday, all day. What a huge loss. I am so used to talking to him, calling his name, letting hime in and out, getting stuffed animals out his mouth, giving him dog cookies and battling with his dog hair. There is a 100+ pound furry void in our home. To quote my son - "I want Jake back."



**I read a short story years ago that was to answer the question Why dogs lives are so short? I'll try to summarize it to the best of my memory: We are all put on this earth to learn the most important lessons in life - mainly unconditional love. Dogs learn this lesson immediately, but stick around for a while longer so man can learn by their example. **



Goodbye my sweet Pup, we will miss you always.

Labels:

12 Comments:

At 7:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I am so sorry. Poor guy.
Stephanie
Forks&Chopsticks

 
At 9:06 PM , Blogger wzgirl said...

Hugs, you. Hugs, friend. XO

 
At 11:33 PM , Blogger "M" said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my two cats last May,and I know how hard it can be. I'm sure you have many wonderful memories of Jake. May you cherish those memories always.

 
At 7:38 AM , Blogger Polar Bear said...

Tammy,

I am so very sorry for your loss. Hugs to you and your family. My thoughts are with all of you.

Stacy

 
At 9:14 AM , Blogger Katie J said...

There is something about losing a pet. They take up a special place in the heart and the void left can feel unbearable. I'm sending cyberhugs to y'all, but will give real ones the very next time we see each other.

 
At 5:01 PM , Blogger Deb said...

I am so sorry to hear this. I can't imagine the pain you and your family are going through right now. My deepest sympathies to you all.
Jake was a beautiful dog.

 
At 11:11 PM , Blogger kitchu said...

My heart breaks for you. What a tremendous loss. And what a tremendous life... that quote had me in tears. May your best memories of Jake offer you a lasting peace.

 
At 7:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. It is so hard to lose a family member, even the furry kind.

 
At 4:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my. I am tearing up. I'm so sorry for your loss. Big time hugs to you and your family during this difficult time.

When you are ready, please share more wonderful memories of Jake. He was a sweetheart.

 
At 5:03 PM , Blogger Joannah said...

Tammy, I'm so sorry. Poor Jake. Lots of love to you and your family.

((hugs))

 
At 8:44 AM , Blogger Pug Mama said...

I am so, so sorry for you. I came to you because of the comment you left on my blog. My Zeus had the same exact cancer as your Jake. I was a SAHM also, and like you, my dogs went everywhere with me. Zeus has been gone for less then 3 weeks and I just went down to our lake for the first time since he left us with the kids a few days ago and cried my eyes out, because it was Zeus' favorite place to go. We could never keep him out of the water.
I moved the couches the other day to sweep under them and there were huge puffs of his white hair there. I still can't take his bowls out of the kitchen, of his leash from the back of my car.
We went out to dinner last night, and I couldn't finish my steak, and I asked for a to-go box so I could bring it home to Zeus. I do stuff like that everyday. Go to call his name, stop myself short from asking the kids where is Zeus because I haven't seen him.... It will never get better, or easier as far as I'm concerned. Like your son, I will always want my dog back. He was the most perfect dog.
I am so sorry for your loss of Jake, sadly I now the pain well. Zeus was 120lbs. before he got sick, he went down to 101 lbs.
there is HUGE void in our home and hearts.

 
At 9:12 PM , Blogger tundrachica said...

Pet loss is the worse especially when it involves determining whether they live for a bit longer or help them through to the next world.
Our family cat of 20 years passed away at the end of January. He was born in our house when I was a teenager and has traveled many places with the family.
I'm so glad I got the pictures that I did because that is what makes it easier for me. Being able to see him when I felt the need to be around him.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home