5/17/2006

Intrustive questions

Nosey questions and stares have become a fact of life for our family. Last week, Allison & I met up with our buddies KatieJ and Buttons at an area mall. We were having lunch in the food court and the folks at the neighboring table felt the need to stare at the two mommies with the Asian girls (aka, us). The excessive staring made us feel uncomfortable. Good God, have these people left their house since 1952? Families are colorful. So, I felt the need to post about it.

Rarely do I venture out that I'm not asked about our daughter. Here are just a few of the regular intrusions:

Is she yours?
Did you adopt her?
Why did you adopt?
Couldn't you have your own child? (own?)
Is your son adopted too?
Is he your real child? (real?)
How much did she cost?
Did you gave to go get her?
Why China?
How come you didn't adopt an American baby, since there are so many in foster care? (I always want to answer this one with: How much time do you have?)

I realize that it's human nature to be curious (sometimes overly) with everything that's different. I also realize there are those who are socially illiterate & cross the line with their questions, and those who stare just a little to long (folks in the mall food court). However, when it's you who is at the receiving end of the intrusions, it's not always these thoughts that come to mind. I often have to stop myself from being flip (Moi, flip?), because I don't want my daughter to get any negative impressions from me about adoption. So, I'm often torn about how to handle these situations. I don't always feel ready for them - although I should be. I also don't feel the responsiblity to educate strangers about intertational adoption or our family planning. I am proud of how we built or family and I am open to discuss adoption, families, kids, infertility, fertility or whatever - but there is a time & place for these discussions & the grocery store, with my kids in tow, isn't it.

Well, on the heels of my recent discussion at the mall about intrusive questions and stares, comes Adoptive Families magazine with the article Nosey Questions. I was so anxious to read it & get some useful suggestions. The article was very helpful & here are the listed 5 tips for parents "when posed with nosey questions":

1. Remember that your child is listening not just to what you say, but the tone in which you say it.
2. Keep your responses brief and factual. (Don't spring any new information on your child in public.)
3. Use positive language and reinforce family ties. For example, say, "He is my son," "I am his mother," "They are sister and brother," "We are a real family."
4. Find out how your child feels about such public discussions, and follow her lead. (in the article it notes: "Kids' impressions change over time, so check in with your child often.")
5. Politely excuse yourself from a conversation if you or your child is uncomfortable or if you believe the question was rude or unkind. (a suggestion in the article: "I'm sorry, but we are enjoying special family time right now. I don't really have time to talk.")

Recently, I had some quiet time to myself & channel surfed my way to TLC's Little People, Big World. The episode I watched addressed how they always encounter staring when out in public. Yep, I can relate (not to the height issue, but to the staring). The 12 year old daughter spoke about her feelings on the constant staring & she was very relaxed about it and said (summarized, except for the quote): People stare a lot, because my mom is short. But, that's OK, because "she just is." She just is. Wow, these three simple words smacked me upside of the head. That is how I need to approach the staring in public - people stare because we're different, we just are. Nothing more, nothing less. We just are.

So, with my new attitude about the attention we get because we are different (we just are) and with suggestions listed in AF magazine, I feel armed (and not so dangerous) for the questions and stares.

8 Comments:

At 4:51 PM , Blogger Sandra said...

Hi, I found your blog via Forks & Chopsticks!

Great post! And I love that line..."we just are!" Thanks for sharing!

 
At 5:45 PM , Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks for posting the Nosey Question responses. I suppose that this is something I will have to deal with once my daughter is home.

 
At 12:19 PM , Blogger Yoli said...

We are foreigners ourselves so we know how that feels like. You learn to ignore the questions and answer only the ones that feel genuine. I also read the AF article and thought it was great. I agree with Sany, great post!

Yoli
Mom to Sally in Inner Mongolia

 
At 10:15 PM , Blogger Katie J said...

Yeah, that was annoying, wasn't it? Love the "we just are" line as well. Sometimes when you just embrace the big pink elephant in the room, you can relax a bit.

 
At 1:43 PM , Blogger Mama Melissa said...

Well said. I am still waiting for my referral and I feel the way you do... wonder if I'll be 'flip' when asked questions and such. I've heard of people having business cards ready and giving them out, explaining they will answer any adoption related questions if the person would like, at a more convenient time.

I hope I can answer with some grace and remember we will be *we just are*, too.

Melissa
LID 10/31/05
babyheaton.blogspot.com

 
At 11:51 AM , Blogger Chrissie said...

Great post - great advice ... thank you!

www.estokjourney.blogspot.com

 
At 11:42 AM , Blogger Donna said...

I think this is going to be a hard thing for me to deal with once we have Lauren, but I guess it's just going to be part of the package.

I am such a live and let live kind of person that it's so hard for me to imagine that people will actually ask questions and stare. I can deal with the staring, even though it will be uncomfortable at first until we get used to it, but the questions are really going to bother me. What I'll be thinking when they ask is...why can't these people just assume our daughter is adopted and just leave it as that?? Why do they actually feel that they must ask questions?? Why do they feel that our personal business is something they have a right to know about??

I just don't get it and probably never will. I do know that I'd better prepare myself for these questions, because whether I understand it or not, it's still going to happen and we'll need to deal.

 
At 10:22 PM , Blogger Christie said...

Great advice from our homestudy social worker is this:

First response "why do you ask?"

Second response "that's her story, we like to let her tell it"

Third response "the kids go to bed at ___(insert time). Here's my number, why don't you give me a call after that time and I can answer your questions?"

I'm hoping these work - I'll not the world's most patient soul...God help the people who ask me stupid questions...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home